WARNING: THIS IS A VERY LONG POST!
Saturday, March 7, 2009
We had spent the morning doing a little clean up and prep work on the apartment so we could have some friends over for dinner and to let the kids play. When it was time for lunch we decided that when we were done eating we would go for a little ride up to Carter Creek to see the plant that Glenn has to work at occasionally.
The scenery was beautiful. We could see mountains for miles around us everywhere we looked.


Maggie was less than impressed and really wanted to go home. We didn't make it all the way to the plant before we turned around to go home. Just after we made our turn around Glenn saw a side "road" that he thought would be good for a little four wheeling fun. It was very bumpy and Zoe thought it was great. She was laughing and screeching and having a good time. Until the truck came to an abrupt halt as it sunk into the snow. Our smiles quickly turned upside down as we realized that we were in some pretty serious trouble. The snow was way deeper than it looked and we were in snow up to the bottom of the doors. Glenn's truck is kind of high so when we could barely open the doors to check out the situation we knew we were in big trouble.
Glenn got out and started trying to push the snow away from the tires. He didn't have a shovel or even any snow clothes. We were not at all prepared to be out in the snow. Zoe was just in a sweater and she insisted on not having socks on with her "crocs". Maggie was in her cowgirl boots and luckily she had her heavy coat. Glenn and I only had pullovers on. I was wearing my slip on Skechers with no socks. Oh my!
After Glenn had been out in the snow for a few minutes I asked him if he could possibly use our drink cup from lunch to help scoop out some of the snow. He took it and of course it didn't last long. I then noticed his hard hat in the back seat and asked if he could use that. He spent the next two hours trying to dig the snow out from around the tires. He used his windshield scrapper to help break up the ice. He was having so much fun!


This is what the girls and I had to look at for about four hours. It's very pretty, but it got really old really quick.

After Glenn worked on the snow and several attempts to get the truck out we decided it was time to call for help. We only had a few more hours of sunlight and we couldn't get the truck anywhere. I called Lindsey to see if her husband could possibly come out and help us. She gave him a call and a few minutes later called me back to say they were on their way. Big sigh of relief!
While we were waiting for them to arrive Glenn kept digging and trying to get us out. It was just all too much for Zoe so she took a little nap.

Maggie's coat is a two in one so I was able to zip out the inner part and use it to cover Zoe while she slept. Thank you Maggie for helping take care of Zoe!
Pretty soon we saw the rescue crew arrive...



Hooray! He has a shovel! We may get out of here some time today!
After several minutes of more digging and pushing and trying to floor it out of there the realization hit us all that it just wasn't going to work. We needed more help. Lane couldn't get his truck close enough to be able to use his tow cable and we couldn't work the truck out enough to get it closer. Lane decided to call his Dad to see what else we could do and about the possibility of getting more help. He didn't have any cell service where we were so he turned around to go back up to the road. A few minutes later I turned around to find this...

I really wasn't seeing this, right?! He's just talking on the phone. He's not stuck too. Then I saw the reverse lights come on and snow being thrown up behind the truck. OH MY GOSH!! Our rescuers now needed rescuing as well! My heart completely sank and I felt so incredibly horrible for involving them in our exciting adventure. I waited just a few minutes to make sure they were really stuck before I called Glenn's attention to the situation. He headed up the hill to see if together they could at least get them out. No such luck. The rear axle was completely buried. They weren't going anywhere either. Glenn came back to our truck and said that we were going to pack us up and go to their truck so when Lane's Dad arrived we could all leave. We'd have to get our truck tomorrow.
I got Maggie's coat put back together and got her bundled up. Glenn had a light blanket under the seat that we were able wrap around Zoe. As soon as we opened the door and got that first blast of bitter cold wind I knew it was going to be the longest walk of my life. A few steps in the deep snow with my baby in my arms I fell over almost dropping her in the snow bank. Maggie was having a horrible time trying to keep her hood on, hands covered and tromp through the deep snow. She fell a couple of times as well. Glenn quickly took Zoe from me so I could help Maggie and be able to balance better.
With every miserable, freezing blast of wind I thought of the pioneers crossing the plains and the icy rivers they crossed. With no winter clothing like what we have today. It almost brought tears to my eyes as I thought of all those that lost their lives and suffered such horrible conditions to be able to escape persecution for their faith and beliefs. I feel so blessed to be here in this day. I don't have to cross the plains in blinding storms, sweltering heat or any of the other miserable conditions they had to endure. I am grateful for those that came before us and for the legacy they have left behind.
So while we waited for our next rescue crew to arrive Glenn and Lane continued to work on getting their truck out. Soon they gave up and took a break on the tail gate. Glenn had been working for hours out in the freezing cold with high winds that made it even colder. I was very worried about him and hope he doesn't get sick.
Lane's Dad arrived and pulled around behind the truck to be able to pull it out backwards. He slipped a little bit and I was thinking oh crap here we go again! He was able to pull us out pretty quickly though and we were all packed in the truck with the heat blazing trying to get the men warmed up. Glenn was shivering and having a hard time getting warm. It took a very long time, but he eventually said he was doing better and we could turn down the heat.
We told Lane and Lindsey that we would buy them dinner since we caused so much trouble and we know wouldn't have time to pull it together at our apartment. They dropped us off and after everyone was cleaned up and warm we met them at Pizza Hut. We had an awesome time getting to know them better. All three of their boys are apparently smitten with Maggie. We almost had a throw down on our hands because the youngest wanted to sit by Maggie but the older boy got their first. After some rearranging he was able to sit on the other side of Maggie and he was as happy as could be. The kids had so much fun at their end of the table coloring and playing around. After dinner we did have them over for cookies and more conversation. The kids had a blast playing together. I was surprised how much the boys enjoyed all the girl toys in our house.
We still owe Lane and Lindsey big time so eventually we will take them out to a nice restaurant and pay for a babysitter for all the kids. We are looking forward to that and hope we can do it soon.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
This morning Lane called Glenn to let him know that the backhoe driver was ready to go and he would meet them at the truck. They headed out and I finished getting the girls ready.
I took a little bit of extra time so I could take a few pictures along the way. Here are some of the signs that caused me some worry the day before...



This is the BP plant that we passed on the way up. Chevron bought it out, but it is no longer in operation. A huge facility that just sits.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but this is a wall of snow that has been plowed from the road. They get lots of snow up here and then the drifting snow gets even higher.
I was just about to where the truck was when I see Lane's truck heading toward me. They stopped to let me know what was going on. I asked what was up and Glenn told me that the truck was gone. I was in total disbelief and asked if he was serious. NO! He was lying. Not funny! They were on their way back down the mountain a little ways because the tractor guy was lost. So I decided to snap a couple of pictures while we waited.


This is how far we were off the road

Here is where Lane was stuck
Our third rescue party is now in sight...




It took very little time for him to clear out the spot where Lane had been stuck and then he was on his way to get Glenn. The tractor actually got stuck at one point as well. He discovered that we were actually in a ditch. There was absolutely no way in the world that we would have been able to get that truck out of there without him.
Thank you Wilford! You did and amazing job. I hope we never need you to rescue us again!
And here is the most exciting moment of our entire weekend...
1 comment:
Getting stuck like that sucks sooo bad and then having to wait all that time! You must have been FREEZING! Yikes!
Post a Comment