I have been thinking a lot about Family History and record keeping for the past few months. Since working on the video for Mom and Dad I have searched through and scanned hundreds of photos. Many have brought back great memories. Some have brought back feelings of loss and sadness of missing those that have passed away. Through this process I have shed many tears and shared moments of laughter and joy with my family. I love learning about my ancestors and hearing stories about when my parents were young. I have always known, but now have a greater understanding and appreciation for the fact that I am responsible for keeping my records. I am also responsible for keeping the records of my family. My girls will someday want to know about my childhood and about things we did as a family when they were young. I started keeping a journal when I was about eight years old. I wasn't really dedicated to it at that time, but later during my years in Young Women I started making almost daily entries. I kept this up for several years. However, during some of the most important years (dating, wedding, having kids, etc.) my journaling came to a halt. I have no written record of the early years of Glenn and I dating and being married. I have put together a scrapbook of Maggie's first year and then dropped the ball again. So I have gone from dedicated journaler to occasional scrapbooker to a somewhat obsessed blogger. I now have a creative, inexpensive and less time consuming way of keeping my families records.
Although some of the things I write about are not very interesting to others who may be reading it these are the things we have done and enjoy doing. Things that interest us, hobbies, activities, our hopes and dreams. I am thankful for this new form of journaling that we all know as blogging! How else could I have known about or participated in such a fun "service project" as the Pay if Forward tag? I have had so much fun working on these projects as well as receiving gifts from others.
Items I've received:
Delicious homemade strawberry jam from Lindy
Although Mom was not a participant in the Pay It Forward craze she did give me a loaf of her homemade wheat bread to go along with Lindy's jam. I know you're jealous!
Yummy, yummy, yummy cookie dough from Mandi
Which was very quickly made up and is now being enjoyed by us all!
A fun and pretty ring from Kimbra
I have not been able to wear my fabulous ring out anywhere yet. It's a little more high class and probably wouldn't go too well with my usual outfit that consists of my pajamas to take Maggie to school. It will have it's day soon!
Items I am giving:
Three scrapbooks for Mandi

Why does she get three items you ask? I don't know! I just felt generous I guess. My first attempt at these books was not quite what I was hoping for so I made the next two which I think turned out better. I gave Mandi the opportunity to pick two of these. She chose the first and third books. I am also making her a larger one with a black and white theme that she can use for wedding photos. It's not completed yet. The only scrapbook store here is in the process of moving and does not have much inventory. I bought them out of their black and white paper. I was unable to find the same paper at any store in the Provo/Orem area. I am hoping that the store here gets more soon so I can finish.
A tutu for Gigi (you still need to tell me what you want, Sam!)

I am still working on Lindy's project
she has asked me to help her make a blessing dress for her baby girl that will be here in June
I have had so much fun being a part of paying it forward that I have decided to make this an annual challenge for myself. The challenge being remembering to do it!
p.s. the second scrapbook is available if anyone wants it and is willing to pay for it :)! I need money! I don't know how much. Make an offer!
1 comment:
I WANT IT!!!! It is so cute! So how much do you want for it?
Post a Comment