I was sitting here at home rocking with Zoe while she drifted off to dream land when my phone rang. I just let it go because Zoe was almost out and I didn't want to disturb her. The call was from the Evanston hospital letting me know that my insurance doesn't cover in-patient hospital stays so we will be responsible for the bill. We would have to have 20% down before the surgery. She then proceeded to tell me the cost...total bill: $9,690.00, our down payment: $1, 940.00. She then asked me to call her back and let her know if we would be able to get them the money Tuesday morning. Oh sure lady! Let me just pull it out of my ear.
After listening to that message I called Glenn to see if he would be able to pick Maggie up since Zoe didn't get to sleep at her normal time. He told me that Dr. Barton (the surgeon) had called him and said there had been some problem with the insurance and he was working on it and that he would call me when he found out what was happening. Yeah, right about here is where the water works started...AGAIN!
So, he finally called after what seemed like forever and said that the insurance would only pay a one time in-patient stay, but he was going to work it out so I wouldn't be an in-patient. He said there are lots of loop holes and ways to get around the insurance issues. He then asked me what the hospital had said when they called. I told him about the 20% down and such and he asked what they said the total cost would be. I have a feeling he about fell out of his chair when I told him. He said no wonder I was freaking out, but he would talk with the hospital and let me know what the final word is. He knows that I need this surgery and the consequences of waiting any longer would not be good for me or the baby.
We are still waiting to hear back from him.
I don't think I can handle much more of this. My stomach is in knots and my head hurts. I want to be done with it all. I want, and need, to feel normal again.
3 comments:
Wow, that stinks!!! Did you get it all worked out?
hey necia. i am so sorry to hear about all of this. what a terrible ordeal to be going through especially while pregnant. i don't know how you are doing it. keep up the good work! i hope everything gets worked out with the insurance. we'll keep you in our prayers. good luck!
No, we still don't know what is going on and with Monday being a holiday I don't know when we will hear.
I had to call my OB Thursday night to ask about pain meds because I just couldn't stand it anymore. Luckily she was able to get me something before the pharmacy closed.
I certainly hope this gets worked out and we can go forward with the surgery.
Post a Comment